If I get divorce papers, is there a certain amount of time to file before they are no longer valid? 4 Answers as of July 22, 2013

My husband and I are constantly up and down, not in a petty way, and I would like divorce papers to have on hand for they day I need them.

Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
There is no real expiration date to the divorce petition, except that if you file it with the Clerk of the Court and then do nothing, the court will eventually dismiss it. Usually after about 120 days, it will be dismissed. If you want to simply have the papers done and ready to be filed, then there is no expiration except that the circumstances outlined in the petition could potentially change (such as if more property is acquired or a business is started).
Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones
Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones | Carolyn Jones
No. Once you file a case can be dismissed for lack of prosecution. But can file divorce papers at any time.
Catchick Law, PC
Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
In Michigan, when you file the Complaint for Divorce to start the case, the Court will automatically issue a "Summons," which expires 90 days after it is issued. Therefore, you need to either serve your soon-to-be ex before the Summons expires, or you need to file a Motion with the Court requesting extension of the Summons expiration date (before the Summons expires) if you need more time to effectuate service.
Yes, summons, if not served, will expire.