If I get divorce before green card can I get it myself? 2 Answers as of January 26, 2011

My husband cheated on me for years. I was 17 years old when we met and he is twice my age. We have a 6 years old son. We got married and as I am about to settle down I found out he is still cheating with someone I thought he gave up in the pass. I want to leave him but he threatened to take my son away and get me thrown out of the country if I leave him. What can I do. I cannot lose my child that's my main concern..Can I stay on my own?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
There is a law called VAWA (Violence against Women act), which you should probably google. Basically, this is an option for abused spouses (married to US citizen or green card holder). You need to show you got married in good faith (the birth certificate of your child should prove this), you live(d) together (any bills, joint tax return, or bank account statements with both name showing your residential address), you have a valid marriage (marriage certificate), proof he is an American citizen, and a detailed, long, very specific statement showing a cycle a violence. Make sure to have an attorney experienced with VAWA- not all attorneys are. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/26/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You can self-apply as abused spouse. Hire an attorney to help you to prove your case. You can contact us for help if you want.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: