If I Get an H1B Visa Approved While I'm in the US, Do I Need To Return to My Home Country to Get it Stamped? 1 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I am a British national and am currently working in the US as a teacher on a J1 visa. I am working at a private English school for Chinese students preparing them for college degrees in the US. We have affiliation with a University in Boston and my employment contract is currently with the University. The school is run by a separate company and they have applied for a H1B visa for me. My current J1 does not expire until Aug 2012 but if the H1B gets approved it would start Oct 2011. My question is, if the H1B visa gets approved, do I need to return to the UK straight away to visit the Embassy and get the new visa stamped in my passport or can I wait until next summer when I plan to visit anyway?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You only need to get the H-1B stamped into your passport at the consulate when you first depart the U.S. So if you get the H-1B approved and want to remain the U.S. for a period of time, you don't have to get the stamp until you leave the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: