If I fire him, will I have to pay fees? 3 Answers as of July 03, 2017

I was injured at work in October 2015. My lawyer has begun to ignore my calls for months, doesn't want to see me in his office and prior to this, he wants me to settle fast with only $20,000 but I do not want to accept. Will a lawyer help me with my case since it happened almost 1 ½ ago?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
You ALWAYS have the option to fire your attorney. You should NOT do that on a contingency fee case (like this one) unless you identify a qualified attorney who will agree to take your case, beforehand. Your present attorney has a lien on the file for some part of the 20% fee set by statute. That means a new attorney will have to take less than a full fee. YOU must talk to other attorneys and get advice as to whether your case is being properly handled. In Illinois, Workers Compensation claims are valued in weeks of permanency. If two people sustain identical injuries, with identical outcomes but worker No.1 earns $22,000/yr and worker No.2 earns $66,000/yr, the fair value of worker No.2 claim is 3X as much as the fair value of worker No.1 claim. Dollars, alone, have nothing to do with the fair value of Illinois Workers? Compensation claims.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/3/2017
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
You should take action right away, because you only have a limited amount of time to file your case. Your current lawyer may or may not have filed your case. You have a right to consult with or hire a new attorney, and your prior attorney would be entitled to a lien on the case for the time that he actually spent working on the case.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/2/2017
Mark G. Patricoski, P.C. | Mark G. Patricoski
Yes, you are fully permitted to change attorneys and no extra cost to you.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/2/2017
Click to View More Answers: