If I find out I have a child, but she is now 18 and was raised in Columbia for 18 years, can her or her mother still collect back child support? 7 Answers as of January 15, 2014

A DNA test was never ordered and the girl was born in here and is a US citizen. Her mom took her to Columbia because she (the mother) was deported. Am I still on the hook for child support if it's determined that I'm the father?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
Not if there was not a child support order, however if the State paid the mother aid to dependent children the State might come after you for back support.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/15/2014
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
The mother has until the child is 20 years old to establish child support.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/9/2014
The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
You should definitely consult with a family law attorney in your area, but generally speaking, child support can be retroactive in California only as far back as the date of filing of a motion requesting such support.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/9/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
No. There was no support order issued so you had no obligation to pay support.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/9/2014
Attorney & Counselor at Law | Jeffrey B. Hammerlund
In Illinois you would not be me I don't know about California.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/9/2014
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
    First determine whether you are the father. Get a DNA test ordered. If you are the father then child support would only be from the date that a petition for support is filed. If the child is over 18 then you are not obligated to pay support.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/9/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would have to look at the history of your situation before I could tell you whether or not there is a potential liability for accrued child support. If there is never been any adjudication or order, at least in Michigan, is very doubtful that she would be able to collect. If, however, you were ordered to pay support and have not there may well be a liability.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/9/2014
Click to View More Answers: