If I file for bankruptcy, will the Automatic Stay stop this administrative proceeding? 10 Answers as of December 13, 2016

I am receiving worker's compensation. My original doctor wrote that I was 100% disabled. My new doctor says that I am 50% disabled. The people at worker's comp want to diminish my benefits.

No, it will not stop the case because you are the party bringing the underlying action.
Underwood & Riemer, P.C.
Underwood & Riemer, P.C. | James D. Patterson
No, the Automatic stay only applies to any creditor actions against you for your debt. You will need to inform your WC attorney that you have filed, and motions may be necessary in the bankruptcy court for you to continue pursuing and receiving money from your WC action. Good luck!
No, the automatic stay will not stop any proceeding concerning your claim of future benefits. It only stops proceedings by your creditors attempting to collect debts.
Probably not. The stay generally applies to creditors attempting to collect money from you.
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
The automatic stay prohibits collection activity by your creditors. However, it should not stop a worker's compensation proceeding, for that has nothing to do with a debt you owe to somebody, it has to do with benefits that will be payable to you.
    You have not presented the full facts, but I presume you are appealing a decision to reinstate your benefits back to 100%. All your bankruptcy will do is prevent the insurance company from suing you to recoup any claim you were overpaid. Under these circumstances, I would think you would WANT to have the administrative proceeding continue, since you could win.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    No, the automatic stay will not effect the state determining what it owes you. The automatic stay would stop the state in determining what you owe it.
    I don't think it should. The Automatic Stay applies to actions to collect from you, not actions where you are seeking to collect.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Possible but uncertain without more details. You should seek legal counsel before filing bankruptcy.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    Probably not. This is a question of state law and you need to see a worker's comp attorney. As I understand the question, they are seeking to change the benefit going forward, not collect something from the past. If this is the case, bankruptcy will not affect the proceeding.