If I file for bankruptcy then get married to her, would I be liable for the debt again? 9 Answers as of January 02, 2017

My girlfriend and I accrued some debt together. She is a co-signer on my auto loan and a personal loan as well on a credit card. She can file chapter 7 with me because she had previously filed and can't re-file until 2020.

Bankruptcy can't make another person liable for debts. Only signing a contract, like a credit card application, can make a person liable for debts.
She would be liable for any debt she co-signed for after her bankruptcy. You do not become liable for debt by simply marrying someone.
You will not be liable for them again, directly, but your discharge will not discharge her and thus, she will be liable for those cosigned debts even though you get a discharge.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
No, you will not be liable for the debt if you later remarry. You might also consider getting married and then filing a joint chapter 13. Based on the date of her prior chapter 7, she might qualify to get a discharge in a chapter 13.
Getting married does not change who is responsible for debts made before the marriage. However, debt can be collected out of joint bank accounts, so proceed with caution.
    Your "girlfriend" can't file with you, only a spouse. If she incurred debt after filing, she will be liable for that debt until she can refile again (presumably in 2020). She can file a Chapter 13 and discharge the bulk of her debt, 4 years after filing a Chapter 7.
    In Wisconsin a girlfriend may not file a joint case with her bf, unless they are married. (Domestic partners-I'm not sure.) It would be a grave mistake to claim to be married in order to file: it would be a false statement made under oath to a court, which is a crime. Wisconsin does not recognize common law marriage. Your marrying her would not make you liable on the debt again, assuming it is discharged in your Ch. 7. Best advice: find an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. It's almost always worth the investment.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    She cant obtain another discharge in a ch 7. You can file a 7 and she may still be able to file a bankruptcy, but it would be a ch 13 and pay very little back.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    Absolutely not. Go ahead and marry her.