If I file for bankruptcy can me and my wife keep both our cars and home? How? 10 Answers as of June 24, 2015

Me and my wife lost our jobs 6 months ago and we have maxed out our credit cards and our savings are totally gone. If we file for bankruptcy can we lose our cars and home?

Yes, under most circumstances. You might be able to do a 721 redemption on the cars, saving you thousands of dollars. Meet with an experienced BK lawyer to discuss all of your options.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
If you are able to maintain your loan payments, and if you do not have too much equity in your home and your cars, then you should be able to keep them even while filing for bankruptcy. Bankruptcy can be quite complicated, and if you are hoping to keep some of your assets you would be well-advised to find an experienced bankruptcy lawyer to hire who can guide you through the process.
Yes, if the equity in the home and cars is within the exemption amount for your state. If they are not paid for you will have to continue to make the monthly payments too.
If your equity is low and is exempt or none, then you can keep your assets, including your cars and home.
Exemption laws are available to protect some or all of your equity in your cars and your vehicles, and since you did not indicate how much equity is in these assets, I cannot guarantee you will be able to keep these assets. What is more troubling is your comment that you maxed out your credit cards during the last 6 months when you had to know you couldn't pay for them. Doing this may have seemed necessary, but the law calls it FRAUD and it can send you to prison.
    If you can't pay for them in a 13 yes.
    Probably not. It depends on the "exemptions" allowed in your state. Every state is different. Federal bankruptcy law uses state law to determine what you can keep. Every time you have a question about you can keep you need to consult with local counsel. I always suggest people try to find a lawyer at nacba.org. This does not guarantee that you get a good lawyer or that you will get the best price. However, if a lawyer has joined the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys at least he or she has demonstrated some interest in being a better bankruptcy lawyer.
    It is a real possibility. Often your lawyer can negotiate a 'reaffirmation' agreement with a secured creditor, in which you renew your pre-bankruptcy promise to pay, and the lender lets you keep the car so long as you are making payments. Same with you mortgage but be very very careful in deciding about reaffirming a debt, especially on your home, because if you later default on payments, you will be liable for the full balance of the loan at that time, rather than just losing the home. Find an experienced bankruptcy lawyer; it's almost always worth the investment.
    Bankruptcy usually helps a person retain their car. BUT you'll still have the make the payments, if your unemployed and have no savings; how would you make the payments? The time to file is after you've got a new job. Then all the debts from your spell of unemployment will be included.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    You do so by exempting them. Exemptions are a discussion involving the values of the cars and home, their liens, how they are held and whatever else you own and want to keep. Too much time for an email sound bite to discuss.