If I file Chapter 7 bankruptcy what happens to my back rent? 8 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I currently live in public housing/subsidized housing. My rent has increased 4 times in 3 years. I currently owe back rent and I know I will get filed on for landlord/tenant court on 6\17\2013. I was just assigned to a pro bono attorney to handle my bankruptcy. Will the chapter 7 allow me to keep my apartment? Once the debt is cleared, I can start paying my rent on time? How long does it take to file a petition and what can I do to stop the eviction process before then?

Most likely you will be evicted for failing to pay the rent. A 3 day notice that goes unpaid cuts off your right to possession. (This is the law in California, which is the only state I am licensed in).
Bankruptcy will get rid of the back rent but it wipes out the lease, so you are now a month to month tenant. Many landlords will now use that opportunity to evict you.
Richard L. Hirsh, P.C. | Richard L. Hirsh
Your debt for back rent would be discharged however the landlord could still have you evicted for the default.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
Since you are represented by an attorney you need to ask him or her all your questions.
The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
That is wonderful that you have been assigned to a pro bono attorney to handle your Chapter 7. She or He should answer these questions for you!
    Stuart P Gelberg
    Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
    Speak with your attorney.
    When you owe someone an ongoing payment, you can eliminate the past due obligations in bankruptcy court. But the landlord has every right to refuse to rent to you in the future if you are too much of a credit risk. The amount of time it takes to file a bankruptcy petition really depends on the caseload of the individual attorney as well as your ability to provide the attorney with the documents and information required to prepare a case. Challenging your eviction in court can delay the entry of a final order of eviction, as will the filing of your bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
    Once you file a chapter 7, there is an automatic stay. Creditors must stop all collection activities. The landlord can file a motion for relief from the automatic stay. This will take one to two months. Whether or not you can stay in the housing is up to the landlord. You will have to discuss with the attorney how long it will take to file the bankruptcy case. You will have to talk to the landlord about how to stop the eviction.