If I file bankruptcy single and then get married, does my credit affect my new spouses if my score is higher than his now? 11 Answers as of November 04, 2014

If I file bankruptcy single (which I did in 2014) and then get married, does my credit affect my new spouses? Meaning my score is actually higher than his now that the bankruptcy has been discharged. We are saving for a house and I was told if we marry, my higher score will boost his, is that true? We still plan on getting the loan and just his name, as the bankruptcy would affect negatively if we applied jointly I was told. Please clarify, thanks!

Credit scores are reported via Social Security Numbers. Getting married will not affect his credit score either way.
EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
A bankruptcy petition only affects the petitioner.
Whoever has been giving you credit advice doesn?t know very much. Being married will not affect either person?s credit score. But when you apply for credit jointly, the lender usually considers the score of the person with the lowest score. Since every creditor operates under its own standards, you have to ask the creditor this question and you should do so before you submit an application since every application or credit inquiry will damage your credit score.
You are your new spouse have separate credit scores. There is nothing in the credit rating process that links the score of one spouse to the other spouse. Of course, if you have joint accounts then anything which is reported on the account will be reported on both spouses. It's considered sex discrimination to change one spouse's score based on the credit of the other spouse. If you get married and have joint accounts, then those account (whether good or bad) would affect both your credit scores. In time, that might pick up his score. Banks are only willing to give a mortgage to one spouse when the income which supports the payments is just that spouse's income. If you make $50,000 and he makes $50,000 and you want to get a mortgage based on the couple's $100,000 income, then you both must apply and be liable on the mortgage.
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
Absolutely not. The filer has nothing to do with the non filer.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    You generally can't get a mortgage for 2-3 years after filing, so you would have to get it in his name. But yes many mortgage companies will take your credit score in consideration.
    Southern Michigan Bankruptcy Center | Craig Jackson
    Your bankruptcy filing will have no affect on his credit score. Your credit report is separate whether you're are married or not. However, it's best to pull your credit report every so often to make sure no errors are on it. I've seen it before where a bankruptcy filing is incorrectly showing on a non-filing spouse's credit report.
    The bankruptcy has no effect on him or his credit. You are not "mortgage worthy" for 2 to 2.5 years after bankruptcy discharge.
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    This is not a Bankruptcy question. This is a credit reporting issue. My only advice is to wait and see. What has he done to correct his situation?
    Sorry, I'm not an expert on credit scores. I can't answer this.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    If you already filed bankruptcy in 2014 and your FICO score is higher than your fiance's, his score must be awful. I would not count on qualifying for a mortgage anytime soon if your post-bankruptcy score is the higher of the two.