If I file an immigration petition for my dad, can he bring his children with him? 2 Answers as of May 04, 2011

I am a legal permanent resident and about to apply for my citizenship. I heard it would take about a year. I understand I can then petition for my dad who is in the Philippines. I have a sister who is turning 16 this year. I heard that once they approved my dad to come over, he will be permanent resident automatically. Does that mean he can bring my sister (who will then under 18 years old) with him to the US? Another question is, can I apply for citizenship if I am unemployed? I am a stay home mom.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Your Dad can bring his family and his minor children with him when his visa becomes available. If the children somehow age out of the application, then when your father gets his green card, he should file for the aged out children and ask USCIS to retain the priority date of the application that they aged out of. I don't think it will only 1 year, it may be more. About applying for citizenship, the answer is yes you can. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
There is no employment requirement for you to becomes a U.S. citizen. Once you become a U.S. Citizen can petition for your father. However, since he is considered an "immediate relative" there are no derivative beneficiaries so your sister would not be included in his petition. You will have to file a petition for her and that will take many years. Once your father is a residence he can petition for her as well, but that will also take many years. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney to discuss what options may be available.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: