If I dont have full child custody, can I legally have my child live with me? 1 Answers as of July 25, 2011

My husband is the non custodial parent of his son. We have the child in our custody for extended periods of time. The mother is not stable at this point in her life and is currently staying with family in 1 bedroom of their house. She always has multiple male figures around and has recently been the subject of family violence from the father of her other child. She has let that same man back into her life on multiple occasions. We have had my step son now for well over a month and my husband does not feel it is a safe idea, or environment to let his son go back to his mother at this time. She also lives well over 150 miles away from our residence. She has moved on multiple occasions lately and cant seem to keep a steady home base.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
File a suit to modify the parent child relationship and ask for permanent custody. If you want something cheap and easy, try asking mom if it is okay for your step-son to stay with you "until she gets back on her feet" and then get her to sign something saying child support will abate while you have custody and that she will return any monies she gets from you for child support for so long as the child is in your care. The document needs to state that the child came into your care on or about.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: