If I divorce my wife is she going to have to be responsible for her debt? 1 Answers as of April 13, 2011

Who will be responsible for my spouse's credit card debt if we divorce? Will she be responsible? I am considering a divorce after 20 years of marriage and we live in Bellingham.

All debt and property is before the court for division in a fair and equitable manner. Who's name a certain debt is in does not technically matter. What matters is your incomes, your financial futures and numerous other factors that effect what is fair and reasonable under the circumstances. It may make a difference what the debt was for. If your wife has a lot more income than you and this is the only debt, and the property is divided fairly, them probably she will end up having to pay this debt.But there are many more factors involved that are unknown to me to give you a very accurate answer at this point. Good luck.