If I divorce my husband, how long do I have to get married so that I can become a citizen? 9 Answers as of January 31, 2011

I have been married to my husband for more than 5 years he is a resident but got in trouble with the law a long time ago and cant for some reason become a citizen. I want to know if I divorce him how long do I have to wait to get married again to a citizen?

Once legally divorced you can get re-married the next day. To get immigration benefits through your next spouse though be sure the marriage is in good faith. You may contact me as indicated below to schedule a consultation.
It will take two years.
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
Nothing in the law prevents you from divorcing your current husband and marrying again. Obviously, you would not divorce him and marry a US citizen just to get the green card. That would be fraud!
If the conditions on your greencard have already been removed, there is no particular time frame.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
The law does not impose any time constraint.
    Law Offices of Juan Dotson
    Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
    There is no time requirement. The only real question immigration will have is whether you are in a bona fide marriage will they think you are marrying a citizen to get a green card? So, if you divorce and remarry the next day, then you will have some explaining to do.
    Your question is not clear. Are you a green card holder? If you are, do you have a temporary green card or permanent one? Such factors need to be determined before an accurate answer can be given. Good luck!
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
    You can get married to a US citizen right after divorce. It will look suspicious to USCIS because it occurred soon after your divorce. However, it all depends on strong the new relationship is. For example, if you already know your new husband for 5 years and has been dating him on and off (having an affair) then it makes sense to marry right after divorce. If you hardly know your new husband then it would be weird to marry him right after the divorce.

Exercise common sense and good judgment.

The law does not require you to wait to get married to another citizen and apply for the green card.
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    If your husband, as an LPR, filed for your Residency and you are currently an LPR, you may apply for your U.S. Citizenship in 5 years of obtaining your LPR. You must have good moral character and not have committed a crime of Moral Turpitude within the last five years prior to applying. Moreover, a felony or an aggravated felony will prohibit you from being eligible for Citizenship.