If I divorce my husband can I buy his share of our property? Posted on May 03, 2011

My husband and I are in the process of buying my grandmother's home. We have moved in and are renting out our home that he owned before we were married. I have doubts that the marriage will last due to his alcoholism. If we go through with the purchase of the home and get a divorce after, I do not want him to get the home. We have a two-year-old daughter and have been married for four years. We will be getting a home loan to buy the home for 80,000, and the house is valued at 85,000. Since he will own half the debt.... in the event of a divorce couldn’t I just assume the entire debt? Would that be like "buying him out" so I wouldn’t have to lose the home? What if we go ahead with the purchase and it is just in my name, would he be entitled to it in the event of a divorce? We are currently keeping the home that he entered the marriage with, which is entirely paid for.