If I divorce her, am I still liable for the bills? 16 Answers as of May 19, 2017

Am I responsible for my wife’s medical bills? Should I file for bankruptcy?

In California you are liable for the "community" bills. You should see local counsel.
In Ohio if you're married, you are responsible for your spouse's medical bills. Filling bankruptcy will discharge this obligation.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You are not responsible for your spouse's medical bills unless you signed a written agreement that you would be responsible.
I need to ask you about 50 to 60 more questions to give you an intelligent answer.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Medical bills a a community responsibility. Whether or not to file for bankruptcy is a question that requires a great deal more information than you provided here. You can often negotiate medical bills with the provider to reduce the amount owed. This would be advisable before even considering bankruptcy.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Oregon does have a family expense statute which makes you responsible for medical bills incurred while you are married. Bankruptcy would discharge those bills. Whether or not you should file for bankruptcy depends upon a lot of factors which ought to be discussed in a free consultation.
    If you live in a community property state like Wisconsin, you are liable with her on all the debts accumulated in the interest of the family-which is nearly everything. After the divorce, you would still be liable for the debt which is allocated to you (and the debt allocated to her is she does not pay). A bankruptcy can help, but not always in this kind of situation, since you cannot discharge debts for domestic support, which basically means the debt allocated to you in the divorce, or debts which she pays when you should (you would then have to reimburse her.) You really need a lawyer skilled both in divorce and bankruptcy. Those are services I provide, and so do a good many other lawyers.
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    The medical expenses incurred during the marriage are community debts. You should consult with a bankruptcy lawyer about filing a bankruptcy.
    In Nevada, as in most states, makes spouses financially responsible for paying each others medical debts. Divorcing will prevent you from liability for medical debt once the divorce is final, but will not get you off the hook for debt made while still legally married.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    You may be and the dissolution will establish who pays which bills, that needs to be set forth clearly in your Decree of Dissolution of Marriage. Then if you can't pay what you are ordered to pay and can qualify to file bankruptcy, you can then file for bankruptcy after the dissolution is completed.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    It would depend on what is written in the Property Settlement Agreement and the division of debt in same.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Generally the parties are equally responsible for each other's medical; bills. I would recommend letting the Judge decide who owes what.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    No.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Responsibility for bills would be determined during the divorce. It would depend on many things, including income of both parties, nature of medical bills, etc. The question as to bankruptcy cannot be answered without knowing a great deal more such as how much is owed, what assets are available, etc.
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar | Mandy J. McKellar
    This depends on so many items not mentioned in this post. I would recommend meeting with divorce counsel before you would do anything else.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    A person is liable for any medical bills of a spouse while legally married. If you get divorced tomorrow and she goes to the doctor the next day, then you are not liable for that new debt, but you are still liable for anything incurred during marriage.