If I create a comic art work for t-shirt sticker or wall stickers, do I need to take copyright approval from the main company? 3 Answers as of March 17, 2014

Are they free to use policy?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
When you create an original work of art and fix it in a permanent medium, copyright protection is immediately attached to the work. However, if that design includes work created by another person or company (work that is either copyrighted or trademarked), you will need prior written approval to copy that work and then to distribute it as part of your design. I'm not sure what you mean by "free to use policy."
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 3/17/2014
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
It sounds like you are planning to create a comic art work based on comic art or characters that are owned by a different artist or company. That would be creating a derivative work. To do that, you would need permission and licensing from the copyright owner, which is likely the company. It is not likely they will give you permission to do this. But, it is worth a try. You would directly contact the company, which likely has a licensing department. If you cannot get licensing, you may want to create your own characters and art and have something that you fully own copyright on. Then make shirts. Also, about wall stickers, these are usually not desirable because they tend to harm the surfaces they are on.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/14/2014
McAlpine PLLC
McAlpine PLLC | Alonzo M. Alston, Esq.
If you don't own the comic you need permission to use the images even if you alter them.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 3/14/2014
Click to View More Answers: