If I apply for food stamp and child support, will it affect my immigration status and can the father take full custody? 4 Answers as of September 23, 2014

Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
No. It will not.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
An application for child support is expected if the other parent is not properly supporting his/her child(ren). In fact, if you apply for food stamps, that may result in DSS filing for child support on you behalf. As of the effect on your immigration status, that should be part of a inquiry with an immigration attorney, a totally separate area of practice. In fact, I refer immigration issues to someone who specializes in that area; as they refer such things as getting adequate support to my office, if it is at issue.
I need to know what your status is. I would go to child support services. They will make him pay child support. That way you will not have to apply for aid. If he refuses to pay support I doubt that the judge will give him custody.
Custody is not based upon economic status but the psychological relationship the child has to the parent. Your pursuit of financial benefits would not justify a change in custody.