If I am a US citizen and I want to bring my mother and 6 year old brother to the US, what should I do? Thank you. 10 Answers as of September 10, 2013

Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
You may file an I-130 immigrant visa for each of them. However, your mother will be an immediate relative and your brother will have an extensive wait time for a priority date to become available. You may want to consult with an attorney on how to best handle that situation.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
In general, a U.S. citizen may apply for a parent in the "immediate relative" category and for a sibling in the Family-Based Fourth Preference category (for which there is a very long backlog for visas to become available). It would be wise to engage an immigration attorney to learn the relevant details in order to be able to advise about immigration eligibilities, options and strategies.
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
You should file an I-130 visa petition for each of them.
Vladimir Parizher
Vladimir Parizher | Vladimir Parizher
You have two choices: go on USCIS website and read there; there are detailed instructions; or, retain an immigration attorney who will help you for a fee; it should not be prohibitively expensive.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
If you are a US citizen, you can petition for both your mother and younger brother on form I-130. Your mother is considered an immediate relative and should be able to come to the US in approximately one year. However, your brother must wait for the availability of an immigrant visa number or his priority date to become current before he can apply for a visa to come to the US, which can take many years.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    File a petition for alien relatives.
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    If you are at least 21, you can petition your mother as an immediate relative. You can petition for your brother, but it will take more than 10 years. Once your mother get her green card, she can petition for her son, but this will take some time too.
    Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC
    Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC | Shiv K. Kapoor
    For a temporary visit, they can get a B-2 visitor visa. To bring them here permanently, you would need to start by filing an I-130 petition for immigrant visa for them. You need to be 21 or older to do that.
    You can file an immigrant visa petition for each family member assuming you are over 21. Your mother will be considered an immediate relative however, your sibling will have to wait many years for an immigrant visa to be available.
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    You can sponsor your mother, when she gets her status she can sponsor your brother.