If I am unhappy with my personal injury lawyer in Illinois, what should I do? 5 Answers as of February 03, 2011

A car hit my son, and now his walking is getting worse. I called my old lawyer from when I got hurt at work. But after a few weeks, I am not too happy with his representation of my son and I do not know what to do.

Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
You have an absolute right to discharge your lawyer. Because personal injury lawyers are paid based on a contingency fee you will owe no money to the lawyer you discharge. The new lawyer you choose to represent you may have to compensate the previous lawyer out of fees he earns. You are only responsible for one fee. The legal term that applies is quantum meruiit. Please contact us so we can explain your rights in greater detail without obligation.
Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
You can discharge your lawyer at any time for just about any reason. He is entitled to a fee for his time spent at the end of the case but only from the settlement of the case. Usually the court will hear a fee petition or he and your new lawyer will work the case out.
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you. Thank you for your email, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Willens Law Offices
Willens Law Offices | Matthew Willens
You can terminate his services. He would be entitled to some fees based upon the amount of time he has worked on the case but that would be worked out by your old lawyer and your new lawyer.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
If you have been unable to reconcile your issues with your present personal injury lawyer, you should contact another attorney immediately to see whether he or she would be willing to represent you. Hiring a new attorney for representation should not cost you any extra money in attorneys fees. However, be advised that your new attorneys will have to share a portion of their attorneys fees with your first attorney, in quantum meruit with the work that your first attorney performed.