If I am unemployed for a very long time and using my savings, how do I sponsor spouse for a Green Card? 6 Answers as of August 30, 2013

I am a US Citizen. I have been unemployed now for 7.5 years and living off of my savings. I got married a year and a half ago to a Non US resident/citizen. I don't own immovable assets though I do have close to $100,000 in savings. How does my being unemployed for such a long time, with the assets that I have mentioned affect my chances of sponsoring her Green Card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
There is a formula used to take into account savings and assets in addition to employment income.You will need to review the federal poverty guidelines to determine the income level required for 125% of the poverty line for your family size. From there you will need to determine if you have sufficient savings and other assets to meet the requirements. Hypothetically, if the family size was 2 and the income level required was 25,000 (that is not accurate just using the number for easy math), you would need to be able to show 3 times that amount in assets or savings, so you would need $75000. If you own real estate but have a mortgage, the assessed value minus the mortgage owed can be used to show an asset.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/30/2013
Immigration Law Offices, LLP
Immigration Law Offices, LLP | Fakhrudeen Hussain
You need 5 times the required amount in savings.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/29/2013
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
You can still sponsor your spouse, but will need someone to be a co-sponsor for him to get approved.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/29/2013
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
You will need a joint sponsor.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/29/2013
Immigration Law Office of Arsen V. Baziyants
Immigration Law Office of Arsen V. Baziyants | Arsen V. Baziyants
You can use your assets to sponsor her. It takes about $60, 000 when you have no other dependents.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/29/2013
Click to View More Answers: