If I am a stay at home mother who is getting divorce can I get alimony? 6 Answers as of September 01, 2015

Will I be able to get alimony from my husband? We have been married for 10 years. This is my first marriage. Early on, we decided that I would stay at home with the children to raise them.

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Usually, you should get maintenance for at least a period of time(it hasn't been call alimony in NY for over 35 years)at least until the children are old enough to be in school full time, plus give you time to get training, if necessary, and get into the job market and realize your earning potential. Age and past job performance are relevant. Sometimes, it can be non-durational (lifetime); sometimes for a fairly limited amount of time. There is new legislation that would make it more predictable, but every case is different.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
You have a case to make for alimony as your facts fall into the traditional way for a Judge to award you spousal support. You might also be able to have your spouse pay for your attorneys fees if you file for a divorce due to the disparate income.
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
Yes, you should be able to get alimony. The only issue is how much and for how long. Alimony is not for an indefinite time. It is negotiable. Consider Mediation. Good luck.
If your husband is producing more income than you are, then it is quite possible you would be entitled to spousal support. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
Whether or not you get alimony will depend upon his income and your need. You will certainly get child support.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    Yes if he makes enough money to pay both child support and alimony. However I do not recommend attempting to get alimony without the help of a competent family law attorney.