If I am on social assistance how I can be eligible to sponsor someone (Non Canadian)? 7 Answers as of September 12, 2012

Being on social welfare makes me not eligible to sponsor under spousal sponsorship program. If I quit/leave the assistance, will it automatically make me eligible or are there some other legal requirements? How long after not being on assistance can I put in an application for my husband from USA.?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You are confusing sponsorship with petitioning. You can still petition someone. However, if your income is insufficient, you will need to get a joint sponsor.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/12/2012
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
You will have to make enough money to sponsor. If not, you will need a co-sponsor.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/15/2012
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
The idea behind you "not being eligible to sponsor" your spouse is based on the fact that the US will not admit a person who will become a public charge to the US. Since you are having a hard time with just yourself right now, it is more likely than not that you will not be able to support a new immigrant to the US. However, you can get a joint-sponsor to help you with that end of things for a year (40 work weeks) and then your spouse can become self-supporting through work. But as a USC, you are always eligible to sponsor your spouse in most circumstances.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/15/2012
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You do not need to leave assistance. You can obtain a co-sponsor. Unfortunately, leaving assistance alone may not be sufficient as you must make a certain level of income.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/15/2012
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Generally in a marriage-based case, the U.S. Citizen spouse must supply an Affidavit of Support, but if the U.S. Citizen spouse's earnings are insufficient to meet the requirements (in most instances 125% of the published poverty level for the applicable family size), then a "joint sponsor" will be required. The joint sponsor need not be a relative and instead could be nearly any U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with sufficient income and who is willing to assume the obligations specified in the Affidavit of Support. As you can see from this answer, the period of time since the U.S. citizen received needs-based public assistance is not the focus.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/15/2012
    Namita Agarwal
    Namita Agarwal | Namita Agarwal
    You can apply at any time even if on public services as the affidavit of support requirement can be done by a cosigner.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 8/15/2012
    Gilgannon Law, LLC | Stuart D.P. Gilgannon
    If you are referring to that fact that you receive some form of welfare, that will not affect your ability to petition for your husband's permanent residence. In fact, if you receive $18,000 or higher per year, you may even meet the income requirements for the Affidavit of Support. If not, you can ask someone to be a joint sponsor to meet this requirement, so long as he/she is a US citizen or legal permanent resident.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/15/2012
Click to View More Answers: