If I am on my sons birth certificate, do I need another form of proof? 1 Answers as of August 02, 2011

I did not list my son's father on his birth certificate and he has never been involved in our lives. Is there any reason I would need legal documentation that I have sole custody or is the birth certificate de facto evidence? We are traveling to Canada (land) and Canadian customs is indicating I should bring something besides his birth certificate but I have no idea what that would be (or why it would be needed), or if there could be other situations where I have to prove I am the sole parent?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
If you are the only parent on the birth certificate, that should be all you need to obtain the passport. You should check with customs, but I believe that you will need to have a passport, not just a birth certificate. When your child enrolls in school, you may also need proof that you are the sole parent, however the birth certificate should be sufficient. You may wish to have paternity established and request that the father sign a stipulation indicating that you have sole legal and physical custody.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: