If I am moving out of my home because of divorce, will that ruin my chances of getting custody? 6 Answers as of September 17, 2015

My wife and I are divorcing because of irreconcilable differences, and I cannot live in my home anymore. However, I do not want her to get an edge on having full custody of our 2-year-old. Will I have a hard time getting custody if I do not live at home anymore?

Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
There are 2 types of custody, legal and physical. Both are based upon the best interests of the child. Moving out of the home should not be a factor. You should consult with a family law attorney for an analysis of your situation.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
By moving out, you are informally consenting to her having custody. Based upon that, you will have to show why that should be changed. Yes, you would give her an advantage.
The court supports frequent ongoing parenting contact between parent and child. You have an opportunity to parent in a parenting fashion if you live in close geographical proximity. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney assess your legal options.
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
If you abandon the child it will probably badly damage your chances of getting custody.
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
Your chances of getting custody will be greatly reduced if you leave the home and leave the 2 year old with your spouse.