If I am LPR with I-130 petition pending, can I leave the US for a while? 5 Answers as of February 11, 2014

I am LPR and I filed an I-130 petition for my child 8 months ago which is still pending. Can I leave the US to see my child; if for how long can I stay?

Yes, if you are the petitioner, you can leave the U.S., but you cannot be outside for more than 6 months unless you have a reentry permit.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
As a LPR, you are permitted to travel abroad and return to the US but you generally should not travel longer than 6 months each year or you may lose eligibility for naturalization.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Yes you may, but I do not advise to be out of the country for longer than 6 months.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You are free to travel. This will not affect your I-130.
You need to be careful about traveling for too long. You should not remain outside the U.S. for more than 6 months at a time. You also need to make sure someone is checking your mail in case an important notice is sent.