If I am in California, and I did not show up for a court date, what will happen? 15 Answers as of February 24, 2012

Can I get a license while there is a warrant out for me? I just got my third DUI and know I will face time. Will they look for me because of this DUI? I did not go to court.

Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
Considering this is a third offense, I would need more facts to let you know whether a driver's license can be obtained at this point in time. You can always call the DMV to check on the status of your driver's license.

I do not know whether the D.A.'s office or the law will try to find you. You need a Good DUI Attorney to help you out of this mess. The next time you appear in court, have bail ready or be prepared to get remanded back into custody.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
A warrant will be issued for your arrest. Your best option is to appear in court and try and explain your absence. The longer you wait the more likely you are to have your bail increased or denied all together, or have your punishment increased.
If you just got a third DUI you are looking at mandatory minimum of 120 days jail if you are convicted of that crime. Additionally your license will be suspended for the DUI and you will not be eligible for a restricted license for 120 days with the new law. If you have a FTA on top of all this you really need to hire an attorney to assist you. You will not be able to get a valid license unless you are successful in the DMV hearing and the court proceeding.
Of course, law enforcement can look for you. Whether they do or not, no one can say. You might end up on a warrant service list where they'll make a routine sweep or two of your address of record, or not. You could get picked up during a routine traffic stop. You can probably get a Driver's License while there is a warrant outstanding for you, but governmental agencies are interconnecting there computer systems more and more. More important for you is the type of charges you have outstanding. On your third DUI you face at least another one-year suspension, but can face up to a two-year suspension before you get a restricted license. You may already have been driving on a suspended license. I doubt you can get your license at this point, but it is probably due to internal administrative action by the DMV, not the Courts.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
When you don't go to court the Judge issues a Warrant and you are subject to arrest at any time. It is possible to get the warrant recalled but the Judge needs to consent to placing it on calender. This is all much more likely with the assistance of a good lawyer. Your Drivers License is not affected by the above but I presume yours was taken by the police when you were arrested and you were given a temporary. That is normally good until 30 days after your arrest. After that you cannot legally drive. For more info or to retain our firm call: Tom Mueller.
    Tomas M. Flores, Esq.
    Tomas M. Flores, Esq. | Tomas M. Flores
    If you miss a court date, and you did not hire an attorney - a bench warrant for your arrest will probably issue.

It's a good idea to hire an attorney to recall your warrant and defend you in this case.
    Law Offices of Philip P. De Luca
    Law Offices of Philip P. De Luca | Philip De Luca
    Failure to appear (FTA) is not advisable, as it is an affront to the court. It can result in fines and/or jail time. No one will come looking for you, per se, however, if you are stopped by a police officer, you will very likely be arrested and jailed. You need a skilled defense lawyer to assist you with getting into court as soon as possible, having the warrant recalled, then attempted to successfully defend against the DUI, so it will not be counted as your third, because as you say, you will serve jail time, but only if it is not successfully defended. There are many ways a DUI can be successfully defended, depending upon the circumstances, so don't rule yourself out.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    This will likely go to warrant and the DMV will not issue a license while there is an outstanding warrant. If you are stopped you can be arrested
    Desert Defenders
    Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
    You probably cannot get a license because of the DUIs, besides the fact of the failure to appear. If DMV has initiated administrative proceedings because of the DUI ARRESTS, your license will be suspended for at least 2 years if you do not contest the DMV action. And yes, they may look for you with an arrest warrant.
    There was likely a warrant (with high bail) issued for your arrest. With a DUI, the DMV prosecutes you separately, so the most you can obtain is a temporary license pending the hearing (assuming you request one timely within 10 days).
    West Themis Law, A Professional Law Corporation
    West Themis Law, A Professional Law Corporation | Sally S. Chan, Esq.
    If you fail to appear at any criminal court proceeding, there will be a warrant out for your arrest. Thus, if you apply for a license, this issue will also show up and block an issuance.

Technically, the government will not likely be "actively" looking for you. You've been arrested for your 3rd DUI and you failed to appear at court. If you are ever arrested, the system will show that there is a warrant out for your arrest.
    Yes, there is a warrant for your arrest. Yes, you might be arrested when appearing at DMV to try to get a license. Even IF you are currently qualified to get a license, it will just be suspended by the court and by the DMV for this DUI. For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the warrant and outstanding charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If you get serious about doing so, feel free to contact me.
    Three DUI's and you blew off court and now you want a license? Phew, you've got brass balls. You might be able to get a license once you finish doing your time. Of course they will look for you.