If I am in the area the person is served are the papers still acceptable? 3 Answers as of June 21, 2011

If I was present when my child support papers are served are they still legal?

You did not provide enough information. Did the process server see you? Were they aware of your presence? Were you told, 'You're served?" Did they try to serve another adult in the household (substituted service is not generally good enough in Family Law, particularly on a first attempt).
Your question is unclear, but I assume that you mean that papers were served to somebody over the age of 18 who lives in your home, apparently to accomplish substitute service. If that is the case, the server would also need to mail a copy of the papers to you at your home address. Unless your matter is a rush to see who serves first, if you got the papers, whether served upon you personally or not, you could save a lot of money by just filing and serving a timely response. I would recommend that you at least have a face to face consultation with an experienced Family Law Attorney to evaluate the case and service concerns and advise you as to your options and their costs, to assist in a determination of whether or how to respond.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
Your presence does not make any difference as long as you were not the person to serve them.