If I am filing bankruptcy and my car is in my mom name, can I use the car for filing or no because it is not under my name? 5 Answers as of February 22, 2017

You can only list YOUR debts (i.e., debts in your name).
You list it as an asset, you in fact own it despite what the title says.
I'm not quite clear on what you mean when you write 'use the car for filing.' Do you mean can you list it as your own property? No, because it is your mother's property. Does it mean can you exempt the value of the vehicle? No, because you can only exempt property in which you have an ownership interest? You might want to rephrase your question, or, better yet, consult a lawyer in your locality who is well-informed about bankruptcy.
You can only list debts in bankruptcy that you owe, not debts other people owe. If the car is yours, you need to list both the car and the secured debt in your bankruptcy, not to eliminate this debt, but to reduce the equity in the vehicle.
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
One of the questions on the paperwork asks about property belonging to someone else that you use or control. That is where the car would be reported.