If I am currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy and I start receiving SS benefits, can they take it? 5 Answers as of July 11, 2017

I am currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy. I am 66 ys old and live in GA. If I start receiving ss benefits, can the court take it?

No, social security benefits are exempt from bankruptcy, creditors and other attachments nationwide. Only the IRS and student loans can attach SSI benefits.
Absolutely not. Creditors may not have it with limited exceptions.
So I would hope you know that Chapter 13 is a voluntary program you enter to reach a particular goal. Neither the court nor the trustee takes anything from you in Chapter 13 because you are offering to pay in order to solve a particular problem. Depending on what that problem is and how badly and how quickly you want to reach your goal, you might want to increase your Plan payments in order to meet this objective.
First things first: retain a skilled bankruptcy lawyer. It's almost always a good investment. Secondly, in general social security benefits can not be taken by creditors, so it would follow that the payments may not be taken by the Trustee. But double-check with an experienced BR lawyer in your locality.
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
The question is better put "Can you give it?" It is your chapter 13 plan to either make payment or not.