If I am being written about in a memoir without my consent and not in the most favorable light, what legal recourse do I have? 3 Answers as of November 19, 2013

Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
Get a lawyer and have them send a cease and desist letter to the publisher or to the writer. If things escalate or if the book is published, you may need to file a lawsuit. If you are an elected official or a true public figure and if the statements written are factually true, and do not put you in a false light, you may have a challenge. You may be able to rely on right of publicity then. However, if you are not a public figure, you may rely on invasion of privacy of false light. Overall, the causes of action you will be looking at are defamation, right of publicity, false light, invasion of privacy, and possibly others. Talk with a lawyer.
If the memoir is based on true, verifiable public events or events that many people know about, you probably don't have much recourse. However, if the statements are false or exagerated or deal with very private matters, you may have a claim for defamation.
LYL Law Group
LYL Law Group | Lior Leser
None, unless they are including lies or protected private information that may cause injury or incur damages.