If I am being questioned about a sex offense that may have happened in California 15 years ago, what can I do? 13 Answers as of February 21, 2011

I was questioned about touching a 13-year-old girl about 15 years ago. I was let go and not charged. Now the police are back and asking me to answer more questions.

The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
Absolutely do NOT answer any questions from police about this. Tell them politely and distinctly: "I will not speak to you without an attorney." End of story, close the door and hang up the phone and contact an attorney right away. There may be statute of limitations issues and certainly proof problems. Many defendants have made the case against themselves by talking when they don't have to, when there was no case because of the age of the case and "proof problems." Don't say anything else or even acknowledge that you know the person or that you are who you say you are. Don't open your door to the police, don't step outside your door for police, and do not go down to the station. Be specific that you "want an attorney present before I will answer any questions."
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
Do not answer anything and give us a call.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
The entire point in the police contacting you is to gather information necessary to charge you. You do not have to speak with the police. The best action to take is to retain an attorney and firmly direct any police contact to your attorney.
The ONLY specific advice you should expect to get from here or elsewhere is to exercise your 5th Amendment rights to SHUT UP, and hire an attorney to speak for you. You face charges that could put in jail/prison, and most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative'. There is no magic wand to make this go away. If this is in SoCAL, and youre serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me.
Do not talk to the police or any one else with out an attorney.
    If the police are asking questions about touching a 13 year old girl. Decline the opportunity to speak to them. No matter what they say about an opportunity to give your side. The intent is to get you to admit to a crime. SAY NOTHING.
    Since the statute of limitations for many sexual assault crimes is virtually unlimited, I would strongly urge you not to make a statement to the police until you have contacted and consulted with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
    Shut up shut up shut up. Keep your mouth shut. Do not answer any questions. Hire a lawyer immediately. You can never help yourself by talking - you can only screw yourself. In a 15 year old case they probably have little or no evidence - if you talk to them you will create all the evidence they need to convict you. What jurisdiction did this happen in? If in the bay area call me immediately and if it happened elsewhere I can send you to a good lawyer. If you listen to me you will be fine. If you don't listen to me send me a letter from prison.
    ALWAYS exercise your right to remain silent! There is nothing more stupid in this world than talking to police officers. What good could possibly come out of it?