If I am at least 4 misdemeanors shoplifting charges on my record and they are all at least a year old, would I be able to get them expunged? 1 Answers as of June 29, 2017

The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Do you mean that you have already pleaded guilty to all 4 shoplifting charges? If so, then no, you can't get those misdemeanor shoplifting convictions expunged right now. Starting January 2018, you can hire an attorney to file a petition for expungement and represent you at the expungement hearing, but you will have to have a clean record for 3 years (for misdemeanor stealing) since the conviction date before your attorney can file. So for example, if you pleaded guilty in December 2016 to shoplifting, you would have to wait until December 2019 before your attorney could file a petition for expungement. Another option for you to consider If not much time has passed since you pleaded guilty, and if you didn't have an attorney representing you, it's possible to hire an attorney to withdraw your guilty plea and negotiate a plea bargain deal with the prosecutor for some or all of these previous shoplifting charges and get the charges dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense, such as "Littering."