If I am a 23 years old foreigner and I got caught shoplifting, what will happen if I missed my court date because I need to go back to my country? 3 Answers as of July 28, 2017

I am a 23 years old foreigner and I got caught shoplifting yesterday. I really regret it. It was my first and last time. I was taken to the precinct and my fingerprints and pictures were taken. I was released in 2 hours or so. Now they gave me a court date but I have to be back in my country in the next 2 weeks because I have my University and I can’t miss more days. I'm very worried. What should I do? The merchandise I tried to take equaled to $48. Just some rings and a necklace and 2 key chains. How do I get out of this? I'm losing my mind over my one horrible mistake. How can I just get rid of it all? Will I be sued? And H&M claimed they have videos of me stealing the stuff.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Joel R. Salinger Attorney at Law
Joel R. Salinger Attorney at Law | Joel R. Salinger
Get an attorney and have the attorney attempt to advance the case. It can be handled but you will need representation.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/28/2017
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
RELAX. You can hire a criminal defense lawyer to deal with the case for you. I do this all the time for clients who had left the country by the time their court date came. There is a way to get the case dismissed. If you do nothing the Judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest and you will likely be arrested if you try to re-enter the US.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/26/2017
Hein, Waters & Klein
Hein, Waters & Klein | Irwin G. Klein
If you do not appear in court a Warrant for your arrest will be issued. That will stay in the system and the next time you enter the United States the warrant will likely pop up and you will be arrested. I suggest that you hire a criminal lawyer to help you with this and maybe he/she will be able to resolve the case for you in court without you having to be present. It may depend on where you got into trouble and the court that your case is in. Don't just ignore it! Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/26/2017
Click to View More Answers: