If I am 18, and was arrested in California for a DUI, what should I do? 16 Answers as of January 23, 2011

If I am 18, and was arrested in California for a DUI, what should I do?

You will lose your license for a year if your blood alcohol was above .01 as a result of a DMV suspension not to mention the court case. I would strongly suggest that you contact a lawyer who handles DUI's (not necessarily a "DUI specialist" who are often merely mass production mills) as soon as possible.
All criminal cases are fact driven. The answers here are general answers as to what you may expect from the information you have provided. Sometimes on the same facts, courts may come up with different results.

If you plead guilty or if you are judge guilty after a trial you will loose your right to drive until you turn 21. You will have to go through classes and will be on probation. Right now you need to contact an attorney give him all the facts and see what he advises.
Wise Law Group
Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
Your question does not clarify if you live in California. As an 18 year old, the consequences for the DUI are a litle more severe from the DMV. You should contact an attorney to discuss your case.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
If you were 18 when you got arrested, then you will be treated in court as an adult. There are many consequences to a DUI conviction, both from the court case and at the DMV. It takes about 15 minutes to go through it all. Call me for more info or to retain our office.
You should call an experienced Attorney in your area (probably not one of the ones who sent you the barrage of mail you received or will receive). Expect (insist upon) afree consultation. You must notify the DMV within ten (10) days, per the instructions on the pink Temporary Driver's License. Understand, however, that there is a 'zero tolerance' policy for the presence of alcohol in your blood while driving if you are under twenty-one years of age. The DMV will suspend your license for a year, independent of the criminal prosecution in the courts. If there was probable cause to stop you, and you had been drinking, you need effective negotiation, rather than a full-on defense. Do not pay any attorney fees for a trial. You just need representation to negotiate a deal.
    Hire an attorney. When arrested and charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Defend the charges. Go to court, enter a not guilty plea, set up and attend the court hearing[s] and trial date[s]. File evidence suppression or other motions as applicable. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for motions, plea-bargaining, or at trial. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain for you, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have. If you can't afford private counsel, you can apply for the Public Defender.

Keep in mind: When you are arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, upon release from jail or booking you were given documents that included a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of the automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV upon arrest for DUI, which is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled hearing and present your evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does.
    Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
    Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
    For first time offenders you could be facing $1200 in fines, 3 years informal probation, suspended license for 3 months and alcohol education classes. I would highly recommend contacting an attorney who may be able to help you avoid some of the penalties or possibly get your conviction reduced to a wet reckless.

Feel free to contact our office if you have any further questions.
    You don't need a lawyer for a first time DUI but if you don't have money for a lawyer you can get the public defender. If your blood alcohol was below .15 you will get the standard deal - $1800+fine (you can pay it over time) first offender DUI program,no driving for 6 months, tho after one month you can apply for a to and from work and to and from the DUI program. Good luck
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
    This depends on your concerns and goals. Considering you are 18, any conviction of an alcohol or drug related offense results in a loss of your driving privileges for 1 year. This is called Zero Tolerance.

Also, this conviction will stay on your record for your life. My office is hired to save the your record and your driving privilege.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Hire an attorney immediately. This carries with it a one year license suspension. An attorney may be able to find defenses to keep this serious charge off your record.
    Desert Defenders
    Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
    Hire a good criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. There is a possible one year license suspension in addition to other penalties.
    You should contact a DUI specialist immediately, because certain things need to done timely (ie. DMV Hearing). Since you are under 21, the potential consequences are more severe (ie. longer license suspension, among other things). Remember that in California, someone arrested for DUI faces two proceedings: the court and the DMV. The two are completely separate and must be handled independently.
    Hire an attorney. You will need to contact the DMV within 10 days of your arrest to schedule a DMV hearing. The fact that you are under 21 means you really need to get an attorney.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    Since you are of majority, you will be treated as an adult. Your charges will be the same as someone over 22 but the judge and/or DA might ask for more jail time or community service due to your age.