If I already left the company before the lawsuit was initiated and received deposition notice, do I need retain council to accompany me to deposition? 1 Answers as of March 06, 2017

I was previously employed as a project manager by a high-end landscape construction company. During my employment with this company, I was the project manager on a large landscape installation. Near the end of the project, the relationship between our company's owner and the clients deteriorated, and the clients initiated a lawsuit against my former employer, claiming breach of contract, improper installation, and time card falsification. Some months after this lawsuit was initiated, I left the company to start my own landscape construction business in the same region. Recently, I received a deposition notice from the attorney representing the client on this project. I am not named in the suit, but do worry about being drawn into a legal battle which I would like to avoid.

First of all this is not a criminal defense question, but a civil litigation question. Without knowing all the details of the lawsuit and your involvement in the project, other than the fact that you were the project manager, it is impossible to give you an adequate answer. You may be brought into this lawsuit whether you like it or not. I suggest that you contact an experienced civil litigation attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your problem and advise you of your options.