If a hospital accidentally cut off my daughters finger, what can we do if we are in Florida? 7 Answers as of February 17, 2012

Last week, I gave birth to my daughter. While in the newborn wing, she had her finger cut off when the nurse tried to remove the tape from her arm. What can we do?

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
I recommend that you bring a legal action against the hospital and the nurse.
Mukerjee Law Group
Mukerjee Law Group | Sisy A. Mukerjee
You need to contact a medical malpractice attorney immediately. If you do not already have one, I can refer you a very good one. Please contact my office for further assistance.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Joel Ewusiak
You should consult with a FL attorney. More information is needed, but it certainly sounds like a case of medical negligence. Keep in mind that medical negligence claims have a short limitation period (e.g, two years from the date of the negligence is or should have been discovered based upon reasonable efforts), so you should be diligent about seeking advice from a lawyer. Most lawyers, including myself/my Firm, will provide a free consultation and handle medical negligence claims on a contingent basis (i.e., the fees and costs are taken out of the recovery, if any).
You really need to hire an attorney. There are so many hurdles through which you have to jump to bring a medical malpractice claim, I don't think you would be able to do it by yourself. Remember the statute of limitations in Florida for bringing a medical malpractice claim is two years from date of discovery.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
If the Nurse was negligent and that negligence caused your daughter's finger to be severed you could sue the responsible parties. Please see an Attorney immediately. Our office would offer you a free consultation should you need more information.