If he has a suspended license because of 2 DUI charge, lost his job and failed to pay his payment plan, what is his options now? What can he expect? 1 Answers as of March 20, 2017

In 2011 they suspended his license and about 8 months later he was caught again for DUI and suspended license. He was order a month in county jail. Somewhere around $4,000 fine, 18 month classes and he has to get an IID for his vehicle for 3 years. He lost his job and has not been able to get hired on anywhere; he has worked odd jobs a little here and there. He didn't have the money to set up payment plan so he ignored it and there has been a bench warrant on him. He now has a job but needs to get his license to keep the job. He contacted DMV and STEPS program to start his classes. He contacted the court to start a payment plan and they told him he needed to pay off the entire fine before he gets his license back and that he need to go down to the court to speak to a judge to turn himself in and get his case decided. If he goes to the court to speak to a public defender and wants to turn himself in are they going to put him in jail and make him wait a day or 2 or 3 before he can talk to a judge? I don't want him to lose the job he has now. He will not handle that well, he is finally in a good place in his life to make something of himself and if it goes away I am afraid of what he might do.

He should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without him present if the underlying charge is a misdemeanor, so it is less risky for him. Once the warrant is recalled, an extension may be requested.