If the girlfriend of my ex-husband controls major decisions in my child’s life how can I get my child back and awarded full custody? 1 Answers as of May 19, 2017

My child's father and I have been apart relationship wise for a few years now. Recently he left the state with our child to live with his girlfriend. He never got the courts consent or my own to leave the state, which the custody arrangement says he can't do. That fact was just brought to my attention. My child's father also allows his girlfriend to control when I can and can't see our child and lets her decide on major decisions like my child spending over nights. Even though she isn't the child's mother and shouldn't have that authority.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
Sorry to hear about your problem. If your "custody arrangement" truly forbids the removal of your child to another state, you should have already been in Court pursuing your rights. I suggest you retain counsel and pursue your rights, as removal from the jurisdiction, without permission and just cause is a "no-no" that is greatly frowned upon by the Courts. At that point, you can address what the father and/or his girlfriend can and cannot do regarding making major decisions, especially as it pertains to over-night visitation. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 5/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: