If a fire was caused in my home because of faulty wiring, what can I do about it? 3 Answers as of March 13, 2011

Part of my apartment was burnt during a fire. The fire was because of faulty wiring. Can I deduct the hotel fees from my rent? What does my landlord have to do about this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Jahangiri & Associates
Jahangiri & Associates | Ali Jahangiri
There are many facts I would need to assess where the liability exists and what the damages would be. I am assuming this is a home you "rent," correct? That would be much different than if you were the owner of the home. If the fire was caused by faulty wiring, the insurance company representing the landlord would most likely be involved in assessing the damage. Depending on their coverage, your damages of having to reside in a hotel and any damaged items in the house may be covered. I would need to know more facts involved in this case. The best thing to do at this point is to hire an attorney to determine whether you have a case or not. You would need to the attorney a detail description of the damages and the facts leading to the fire.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2011
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
You should take a copy of your lease and see a competent real estate attorney. You might try calling your local county bar association for a referral. You might get a consultation for a very smaall fee.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: