If the felony was committed in one state, can another state expunge it if it is over 25 years old? 7 Answers as of February 12, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
No. You have to get it expunged in the State where it happened.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/12/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
No. It has to be expunged in the state where the conviction occurred.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/12/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
No, only the state that he received his sentence from can expunge his record.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/12/2014
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
No, you would need to return to the original state.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 2/12/2014
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
No. If the state allows expungement of your felony, you should hire an attorney who practices in the city or county where it occurred. The attorney will have to file a petition for expungement. In Missouri, only a few types of felonies are eligible for expungement, and only after 20 years of good behavior. You should consult a criminal defense attorney in the state where this occurred to find out if your felony qualifies for expungement.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 2/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: