If a father does not see their child, do they have child custody rights? Posted on August 09, 2011

I live in Oklahoma. I have a 9 year old son who has never met his father and the father is not on the birth certificate. He was very abusive and was an alcoholic and drug addict. Been arrested several times, spent time in jail, has had protective orders against 3 different women (myself being one). I have been with my husband since my son was only a few months old and we now have a 2 year old son together. My husband has been a dad to my 9 year old since day one and has always wanted to adopt him. We have always been scared to proceed with it because the biological dad has left us alone for all these years and we don't want to have him notified or involved. After I left him I was getting up to 100 phone calls a day from him until I got the protective order. Its now expired and the last thing I want is for him to harass my family. So do we have to have his consent even though he has never met my son in 9 years?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: