If family court papers are hand delivered but left on front porch, do I have to acknowledge it? 1 Answers as of April 25, 2017

Family court papers from my son's dad filing for joint custody were left on my front porch. I have no idea when. I wasn't even the one who found them. Do I have to acknowledge court papers if it weren't handed to me or any person?

Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
Most jurisdictions allow for "alternate service", also known as "nail and mail". If you received papers and are aware of a court date, what are you running away from? Do you want to risk a "default judgment" against you for non-appearance? You can always appear and argue improper service. Custody is an important issue and should be resolved sooner rather than later. Remember it is not about him, or you. It is all about what is in 'the best interest of the child".