If the engagement called off, do I have to give back the ring? 9 Answers as of February 06, 2014

I am the bride and my fiance wants to call off the wedding 7 months in advance. We have been engaged for a year, we dated for six years. Do I return the ring to him? No children involved.

Nope! If you called off the engagement, you would have to give back the ring, but if he called it off, the ring is yours to keep.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
The ring is a gift to you. You can keep it.
No. He broke it off, so the ring is yours.
The ring was a gift, why would you give it back. If you bought him a car at the same time simply because you loved him so dearly what do you think he would do right now, hand over the keys, SURE HE WOULD.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Unless an heirloom or a prior agreement, the ring is a gift to you that you need not return.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    This is always a complex question. I believe if it was given as a Christmas or birthday type gift you may keep it. Otherwise it should be returned.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    That's up to you. This is not a legal issue. The ring is a gift and you can return it as a courtesy or keep it as you wish.
    Law Office of Scott K. Wilson
    Law Office of Scott K. Wilson | Scott K. Wilson
    Legally there is no obligation to return the ring since you are willing to marry him - he is the one that is making that not possible.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    YES.. in Michigan an engagement ring is a conditional gift.. it does not become a final gift until you are married.. If you do not get married for any reason you have to give the ring back. I have a case going on where a woman would not give back a $15,000 engagement ring and with treble damages for conversion in Michigan plus the right to recoup attorneys fees.. I am suing for over $60,000.