If email correspondences are used but the attorney did not give you a quote beforehand are you required by law to pay? 8 Answers as of October 16, 2014

We had a Realtor attorney that we used previously but then a bankruptcy situation arose with us being the lenders and asked the attorney a couple questions via email. Neither answer helped us and in the latter email actually referred us to a bankruptcy attorney for better advice. Now he is charging us for two very short, non-helpful emails.

EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
You should have a defense to his attempt to collect and the debt would be dischargeable in bankruptcy.
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
Did you sign a retainer with the lawyer?
Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
Do you have a fee agreement?
Freeman Law Group, LLC
Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
What a jerk! The important question here is whether you have a fee agreement with him. If not, you are not obligated to pay him for anything.
In the absence of a contract as to the amount of fees, attorneys are entitled to be paid for the reasonable value of their services. Are you willing to show up for work at a job where your boss could say I am not paying you today because the work you performed wasn't helpful today? Presumably, you contacted this attorney and asked for advice which was provided to you. The fact that the law was not to your taste is not a good reason to not pay for the work the attorney performed to get the correct legal answer to you.
    I don't know enough to answer this. No one wants to work for free, but it depends I think on your relationship with this lawyer.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    In your position, I would ignore it. Without a retainer agreement, that attorney could be endangering his license to practice law should you grieve him. Tell him to go pound sand. He will not pursue you in my opinion. If on the other hand you have a representation agreement, to quote the immortal Richard Pryor in the legendary movie Silver Streak, pay the man!
    Generally, if you did not sign a retainer then I don't see why you would pay.