If a dentist extracted the wrong molar, can I do something? 11 Answers as of August 13, 2015

The dentist made the mistake of extracting the wrong tooth. He had the right x-rays in his Ellijay practice for the procedure. The dentist has apologized and admitted for his mistake. Now what should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You should ask for some compensation as you are now missing a tooth and it can not be replaced except at significant cost. ?How much it is worth, I do not know, but if you plan on still seeing him, perhaps he should give you free dental care for a time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/13/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
It's called malpractice. See a lawyer who specializes.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/11/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
A very difficult situation. To me, the malpractice seems obvious. However, the time and expense involved would not be worth the potential return, at lease that's what I think (and I hope I'm wrong about that). Call some lawyers in your area who handle dental malpractice cases and see if any of them would be interested in taking this on. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/11/2015
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
It would seem to make sense for the dentist to handle all restorative work at his/her expense rather than yours. You would have an injury claim vs. the dds for removing the wrong tooth. The value of same would, in part, be determined by whether you had to pay any money to fix the problem, as well as how the removal has actually affected your mouth, your eating, your life, etc. In other words, any recovery depends on you proving damage. My guess, and I don't handle dental malpractice cases, is that your damages would not be great, unless you are experiencing some significant oral/dental problems as a result of the removal? I'm sorry this happened to you, good luck.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/11/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
You may very well have a case of malpractice. It takes the opinion of a dental expert to answer your question, though. Lawyers that do dental malpractice cases typically have such experts available. Consider consulting one. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/10/2015
    Michael E. Wasserman, Esq | Michael E. Wasserman
    See what the dentist offers to remedy the mistake? The dentist might offer to pay for a dental implant and crown on their own having admitted the mistake.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/10/2015
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    Having spent many weeks in Ellijay (my sister has a "cabin" off Big Creek Road), I can tell you that you wouldn't get much sympathy from an Ellijay jury. I would go outside of Ellijay and find out how much it would cost to put an implant in the missing space, and then how much it would cost to mount a crown on the implant. I have had my share of implants and crowns, and in Orlando implants generally run between $1,800 and $2,000, and the crowns that get mounted on the implants are about another $800. I would add another $1,000 for having to go through the procedures (which aren't that unpleasant) and if your dentist has to make a "flipper" to cover up the missing tooth while you're having an implant and crown, then add that to it. First, I would get an independent opinion on whether you really need to replace the molar. My dentist/periodontist would say that I would if it happened to me, but get an independent opinion, hopefully from someone outside of Ellijay, and if that dentist said you needed it to be done, then approach your dentist about paying for it. If the independent opinion is that you really don't need the implant, then I would see what the dentist would be willing to do just for his mistake. Then take your money and take a rafting ride down the Cartecay river, after you've eaten at the Cantaberry restaurant (although my favorite is the Cajun Depot!)
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/10/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    The doctor should pay for the crown and any work associated with bring your teeth to where they were before the mistake. He has insurance to cover the error.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/10/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case against the dentist. Have you had any additional dental problems as a result of the error?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/10/2015
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    It sounds like a straightforward case. I would call a lawyer who does dental malpractice to see if he or she will represent you.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/10/2015
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Yes. He should pay for the implant, new molar and follow up visits. Find a different dentist to take over immediately. Additional damages for pain, discomfort, and lost time from work are also justified.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 8/10/2015
Click to View More Answers: