If the cleaning amount was required, should it not be split between the four shares equally or should they not be paid off the top? 1 Answers as of February 28, 2017

Grandmother died and her house in another state went on the market. It is being sold. I did not know that I would get a share of the house sale as my mother died before grandmother. The deed company said that my siblings and I are entitled to my mother's share. My grandmother had 4 children, 3 are still alive. The deed company said we are entitled to my mother's share which was would be a quarter then divided to be shared with myself my sister and my brother. The question I have is that grandmother’s surviving children say that we owe them $15,000 out of our share for cleaning they did on the property. They say that since they did the cleaning, we should pay just our share and not theirs. I think I could have hired someone to do that for way less for sure if I had known this. They did this cleaning themselves with no receipts and say that they should be paid 10 dollars and hour for their work. Originally they had told us that we had no part in the house at all and they were going to share the profits from the house between the three of them. They only decided to include us when the deed company's them we were legally entitled.

Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
At $10 per hour and a total charge of $15,000, this means they spent 1,500 hours cleaning. I doubt this as this would be 500 hours each for the surviving children. They are trying to rip you off. The title company may have to interplead the funds into court to get this resolved. If you hire an attorney, it would be in the city where the house is located, not an attorney from your state.