If a civil judgement is granted against me, is bankruptcy an option? 19 Answers as of December 26, 2014

15 months ago I unintentionally struck a pedestrian with a car at a slow rate of speed. I recently received notification from my insurance company that her lawyer was seeking damages above what my policy covered. I have no assets, $20000+ in student loans and work minimum wage. I also have $50000 in medical bills from a stroke. Obviously I am not able to keep up and a judgment will just sink me further. Thank you for your time.

EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
Any debts resulting from negligent action are dischargeable as well as medical bills.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
Bankruptcy would be an option if the plaintiff receives a judgment in excess of your coverage. Your insurance carrier is obligated to defend you and many times these matters settle for the policy limits but you could file bankruptcy on any excess amount.
Civil judgments are discharged in bankruptcy except in the limited instances where the debt is undischargeable. Generally, damages in an auto accident are dischargeable unless you were intoxicated.
Civil judgment will be dischargeable in bankruptcy as will your medical debts. If your income is low then we probably can get you an extremely low or zero monthly student loan payment as well.
Yes, bankruptcy is an option. Pay an experienced BK lawyer for one hour of their time to discuss your situation. Go to the Court house before the meeting and get a copy of the judgment. Most judgments are dischargeable in bankruptcy, although some may not be. Anyway, an experienced attorney can guide you. Good luck!
    Certainly bankruptcy is one option you have and you may want to have a consultation with a local attorney to see if it is an appropriate option. Since you work a minimum wage job, at this point, there may be little or nothing a creditor with a court judgment can actually do to collect from you even if you don't file bankruptcy. Since knowledge is power, I suggest looking at the state exemptions to see if these laws protect everything you do own.
    J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
    Yes it is. It is important, however, to act before the judgment is finalized - that is before you are sued and the Court enters judgment against you. A consultation with a qualified bankruptcy attorney will ensure that the judgment will not be one that is exempt from discharge. I would suggest you wait until suit is filed so that you can see what the plaintiff is alleging. It will help your atty in determining the best way to discharge your liability.
    John Ceci PLLC
    John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
    Yes, based on your post I would say bankruptcy is something you should consider.
    Davis Law SC | D. Nathan Davis
    A judgment which is not the result of recklessness, willfulness or when you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol will generally be discharged in a bankruptcy. Garnishment of wages is not an option for someone who was injured by your driving. You need to meet with an attorney to discuss your rights and liabilities. Just because someone has a judgment against you may not mean that you should file bankruptcy. Consult with an attorney to plan your future.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Unless you were cited for DUI, you should be able to discharge the damages they are seeking, but it would be better to file bankruptcy before the judgment is rendered, if possible. Your medical bills from your stroke are another reason to file, since minimum wage will never pay off that debt. We could also discuss the chances you might have to discharge some or all of your student loans.
    Bankruptcy will take care if this and everything else except the student loan debt. Good luck.
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    A bankruptcy will help you and protect you.
    You might well benefit from a bankruptcy, and the injury claim could well be dischargable. See an attorney with all of the details.
    Yes, unless you were drinking or wanton.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    You are essentially judgment proof at this juncture, however, that can change. If you. Get a better job, inherit money or even win the lottery, your creditors can seize those. You can file bankruptcy but your Student loans will not be discharged and the personal injury can be deemed nondischargeable if the victim sues you in your bankruptcy case. You need to make an appointment with a good bankruptcy attorney and discuss you options immediately. Good luck.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    It sounds as though bankruptcy might well be a viable option for you. You should schedule an initial consultation with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer nearby to explore your options. Good luck!
    Yes, although it may not help the student loan.
    Richard West Law Office
    Richard West Law Office | Richard West
    Civil judgments are dischargeable. I am a certified student loan counselor, as well as a board certified consumer bankruptcy specialist, so I can tell you that bankruptcy does not normally discharge student loans, but you may qualify for other student loan relief. I assume you were not cited for DUI.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    It is probably dischargeable.