If a child has been taken by CPS does a godmother have any legal rights as far as visiting or adopting? 1 Answers as of June 29, 2011

I am a godmother to a little girl. I have been in her life for 10 months. I take care of her in my home for up to 12 days at a time often, I used to live with her family but due to the bipolar behavior of her mother and grandmother i could no longer reside there. I have grown to love her as my own child. She is in my care a lot. CPS has taken her away when she was in her mothers care! I am completely beside myself! Her 1st bday is on July 4th, and I am so worried about her. I need to know if I have any rights as far as visiting her, or inquiring where she is? I am sick inside knowing what this little angel has suffered through when she is not in my care! Please get back to me with some hope!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
When a child is taken away by CPS you can ask the lawyer who represents the mother to ask that you be given "temporary legal custody" of the child while the dependency case is going on in court. The court must give priority to blood relatives but after that you as a godmother should have a good chance of being allowed to have the child come live with you while the case is going on. If the court finds that the mother is capable of having the child back then you must return the child. If not you can petition the court to adopt the child. This is complicated and you should consult with a law firm like Wallin and Klarich that has extensive experience in child dependency matters.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: