If caught for shoplifting but possible to have more evidence on the case, how much worse could his punishment be? 1 Answers as of May 19, 2017

My brother in law was caught shop lifting $30 worth of merchandise. He was not arrested, and had a court date. This court date was moved to a further date, and it's an open case. I speculate that he could have stolen up to 2-3 thousand dollars in merchandise in the past months before he finally got caught, spread between several occasions. If police find evidence of all of these other thefts in the same county.

He has the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what he says it will be twisted around and used against him later. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt his school/employment aspirations. He should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby he can earn himself a dismissal down the road.